Thursday, October 10, 2013

6 Word Memoir De-Brief:

What did I learn about storytelling?

I learned that you don't need dialogue, Scripts, or words to tell a vivid, in-depth, compelling story. I learned that writing a story doesn't have to come with large masses of confusing, boring words; but short and to-the-point phrases, not long paragraphs that drag on for 10-15 minutes, just simple phrases. I used to see writing as a large novel, a dictionary jam-packed full of words, or an entire column of the New-York Times. Granted, that is still considered writing or storytelling in one form or another, but I've learned to respect and appreciate the little things; such as the dialogue in a comic strip or the headlines on a newspaper a whole lot more. The fact of the matter is that they all tell a story, some may be "more intelligent" than others, but overall they all still have something to talk about or share.

Where did I show my knowledge about using storytelling skills?

I showed my knowledge when I decided that my memoir entitled "Friends come and go, like Herpes" should have an "older look" to it than my picture entitled "Dumped dog in freezing, cold, lake." I showed my knowledge every time I decided that a picture needed a different color, or shade, or overall feel. I took the picture "Long-distance relationships are really satisfying" eight or nine times because I didn't like where I had to place the words. When I first tried writing that memoir, I wanted to incorporate symbols, rather than ordinary words but I think words got across my point faster and more effectively.

What did I learn as a reader, storyteller, thinker?

I learned that it's okay to express my opinions, thoughts, beliefs, and ideas in  a shorter, simpler way. Apparently people are okay with me using symbols and emoticons to express myself (hopefully, they take it just as serious as they would regular dialogue in a story.) As a reader, I learned to look at short pieces of work (like the words used in a peanuts cartoon.)  as a viable way of relaying information or trying to connect to the viewer or demographic. I learned to appreciate the little things that authors, screen writers, poets, and critics do to keep the plot flowing in a story or message. Finally, I learned that a symbol like "<3" or "(-:" is just as effective (in the right context) as using the written word to get a point or story moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment